At the age of fourteen, J.-F. Breton was apprenticed in Paris to Etienne Pollet, who also sponsored him as master in 1737. At that time he was living in the rue de la Fromagerie. By 1741 he had moved to the quai des Morfondus where he remained until 1791. From 1787 the quai des Morfondus became part of the quai de l’Horloge and his address is given there. He became a warden (gardé) of the guild in 1759, deuxième grand-garde in 1771 and Prime Warden (premier grand-garde) in the following year.