L. Regnard was apprenticed in Paris to Marin Marye in 1719 but moved in 1721 to a Sr Leblond, perhaps the Edouard Leblond who was a in trouble with the guild over some knife handles in 1727 and who is not mentioned after that incident, suggesting he may have retired in that year. In 1728 Regnard entered into an apprenticeship agreement for eight years with a M. Anceau (probably Simon Anceau, a goldsmith in the rue St Martin) but stayed for only half that time, presumably because Simon Anceau had also retired. As a result he obtained an arrêt de conseil in January 1733 to relieve him of his obligations. He became master on 21 September 1733 sponsored by Richard Jarry. At that date he was living in the rue St Germain l’Auxerrois. In 1740 he struck a new mark for small work which may suggest that he was involved in the production of gold boxes. By 1745 he had established a shop, at the sign of the Golden Fox, in the rue de l’Arbre Sec and by 1769 he is described as ancien orfèvre. Despite this, Maze-Sencier quoted, apparently from the Almanach Dauphin of 1777, that Regnard was “renommé pour le dessin et l’execution de différents modèles de goût de son invention, pour la vaisselle, bijou d’or et service de table” [renowned for the design and manufacture of different fashionable models, for plate, jewels in gold and tableware]. He was buried on 18 April 1779. The Journal de Paris described him as “ancien fermier de lar marque d’or et d’argent” which suggests certain status in the tax regime, and it is probable that he was a retail goldsmith rather than a manufacturer.