As the son of a goldsmith, P.-J.Bellanger (or sometimes Bellangé) did not serve an apprenticeship, but became master in 1754, sponsored by his father, Louis, who lived at the same address in the place Dauphine in Paris. He was known for “bijoux de fantasie et à secret”. In 1784 he was fined for having left his door open at night. In 1791 he was appointed one of the Republican “commissaires” of his neighbourhood, at which time he was referred to as “marchand-orfèvre”. He is last mentioned at the place Dauphine in 1793.