J.-M. Tiron was the son of Pierre Tiron (fl.1701-57) and the younger brother of François-Guillaume Tiron (fl. 1747-75). He became master on 27 November 1748, sponsored by Jean Briceau, and at that date his address was in the rue St Louis in Paris. In 1749 he was working in partnership with his brother at the sign of the Golden Apple in the rue St Louis. At some time between 1754 and 1756 the partnership was dissolved and J.-M. Tiron moved to the sign of the Diamond Apple in the same street. In 1761 he acquired the business of Jean Ducrollay (q.v.) and moved into his house on the place Dauphine. On 11 December 1761 he struck a new mark fro small work. This is presumably the mark, JT, which is found on golf boxes dating from after 1761, rather than the JMT which he registered in 1748. Following the purchase of Ducrollay's business, Tiron described himself as bijoutier du Roi. Clearly some sort of joint business venture continued between Tiron and Ducrollay since in 1762 a draft from Tiron to Ducrollay for 3,500 livres went missing and as late as December 1764 the firm is referred to as 'Tiron et Ducrollay'. However by 13 May 1765 Tiron is mentioned alone. He appears to have had a substantial property in Arcueil, a house in the rue Hautefeuille, and a flat in the rue du Cimetière St André, all of which he let. In 1773 he is described as “ancien bijoutier du Roy" so it must be assumed that he had retired by that date although he is recorded at the house in the rue du Cimetière St André in 1781. A posthumous sale of his stock took place on 28-29 May 1793.