J. Frémin was the son of a goldsmith and therefore did not need to be apprenticed. His wife Anne-Françoise, was related to the Drais (q.v.) family. He became master in 1738, sponsored by Françoise-Nicolas Ilharart Delachambre. In 1743 his address was give as rue St Louis in Paris but he had moved to the rue de l’Arbre Sec by 1748 where he stayed until 1752 before moving to the quai de l’Horloge by 1756. By 1762 he was living on the pont St Michel, and four years later at the sign of the Queen of France on the pont au Change. From 1761-84, his address was in the rue Hautefeuille, and from 1785 in the rue Censier. During his career he moved through the ranks of the guild, being elected warden (garde) in 1761, troisième grand-garde in 1778 and Prime Warden (premiere grand-garde) in 1779. In 1763 he sponsored Pierre-François Drais (q.v.) as master. He presumably had retired by November 1783 as he is described ancien orfèvre on the death of his son in that year. The inventory made at Frémin’s death reveals a relatively modest apartment, with silver flatware but silvered candlesticks, although with numerous paintings and prints. It is clear that, during his long career, he employed the enamellers Le Sueur (q.v.) and Claude Bornet.