The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Partial armour
  • Partial armour
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Nuremberg, Germany
  • c. 1612
  • Iron or steel, fluted, pierced and etched
  • Weight: 18.72 kg, total weight
  • Heraldry: Imperial double-headed eagle Pierced and etched
    Mark: Nuremberg guild marks
    Heraldry: Heraldic lily Pierced and etched
  • A27
  • European Armoury II
Commentary
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • This armour is an interesting example of how the provenance of later armour reproductions can be forgotten, leading to the mistaken impression that it dates from the period when its style was first fashionable. The cuirass of this armour does not in fact date from the first half of the 16th century, as does genuine armour of the ‘Maximilian’ style, but instead, like Wallace Collection armour A26, comes from the series made in 17th century Nuremberg, probably for use during the visit to that city by the Emperor Matthias in 1612. Like the cuirass of A26, this one carries the imperial eagle represented in pierce-work on the top of the plackart, and also bears the characteristic heraldic lily at the base of the backplate.

    Unlike A26 however this composition includes some genuine elements. All of the parts in fact, with the exception of the cuirass and possibly the vambraces, date from the first half of the 16th century. The close-helmet, of the so-called ‘monkey-faced’ form, is especially fine, with a very deep, well-sculpted skull and clean, sharp fluting.