The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
  • Armet
  • Circle of Valentin Siebenburger (+1564)
  • Nuremberg, Germany
  • c. 1540
  • Steel
  • Weight: 3.374 kg
  • A163
  • European Armoury I
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Armet for the field, having a plain skull with a sharp medial ridge and with each side formed into two boxed planes; the lower edge hollowed and roped like the skull.

    This helmet was for many years mounted on the fluted armour A26, and was so illustrated by Skelton (1830). It has since been removed and a fluted helmet substituted. A163 can never have belonged to this armour, being of quite a different style and workmanship, but, as Meyrick pointed out, the hollow, roped edge of the base happened to fit precisely the upper rim of the gorget on the fluted armour.

    This helmet is very similar in construction and form to that on an armour formerly in the Zeughaus at Berlin which bears the mark of Valentin Siebenbürger of Nuremberg, and the arms of Joachim II Hector, Kurfürst von Brandenburg (1531-71). It is now in the State Historical Museum at Moscow (see 'Spoils of war in the State Historical Museum, Moscow', Connoisseur, CLXV, 1967, p. 2). A biography of Valentine Siebenbürger, one of the leading Nuremberg armourers of his day, is given by A. von Reitzenstein, in Beitrage zur Wirtschaftsgeschichte Nürnbergs, II, 1967, pp. 720-22. Valentin Siebenbürger is first mentioned in 1531, possibly at the time that he became a master. He had a house in Nuremberg in the upper Schmiedgasse below the castle, where he died in 1564. His wife, Anna, younger daughter of the armourer Wilhelm von Worms the elder, had probably died in 1547. From 1536 he is frequently found petitioning the City Council to be allowed to employ more than the permitted number of journeymen, because of pressure of work. In 1537/8 he was working for the Stuttgart court, in 1541 for the gentlemen of the Imperial court, and in 1543 for Albrecht, Duke of Prussia. In 1544 he delivered a Rennzeug to Jacob Rosenpusch, the court Armourer of the Duke of Prussia. In 1545 he was working for the Emperor Charles V himself. Apart from personal armours, Siebenbürger also made munition armours, as when he delivered one hundred armours on the order of the Imperial Master of the Horse, Herr von Andelot, in 1551. (Von Reitzenstein, 1967, pp. 720-22). Among other things, he refurbished the series of joust armours of the City of Nuremburg and extended it (see under No. A23). A field armour made by Siebenbürger about 1530, apparently for Phillip, Count Palatine of the Rhine, was published by Von Reitzenstein (Waffen- und Kostümkunde,1973, pp.99-108).