Hanns Roth (active between: 1613 - 1643)
- Augsburg, Germany
- c. 1620
- Steel, etched, gilt and blackened
- Weight: 1.3 kg
- Maker's mark: HR in a rectangle
- European Armoury III
Images & Media
- Gorget, of two plates, pivoted on the left shoulder and secured on the right by a stud and key-slot. The front is pointed and extends well over the chest. The edges are turned over and bordered with steel, round-headed rivets for the lining strap, most of which remains.
The surface is decorated all over with flowing scroll foliage, etched and gilt on a blackened ground. In the centre of the front plate is a representation of Christ on the Cross. The design is boldly carried out and effective. At the point on the bottom of the front plate are stamped the view mark of Augsburg and the maker's mark H R, probably that of Hanns Roth of Augsburg.
This gorget is of the type intended to be worn over a buff coat without other body armour.
The same armourers mark also occurs on several breastplates, gorget and burgonet at Schwartzburg (p. 3, Nos. 7-76) ; in the Military History Museum, Brussels (VI, 5-6); and in the German Historical Museum, Berlin.
The Augsburg maker's mark HR in a rectangle has been tentatively re-attributed by C. Beaufort-Spontin to Hanns Roth, recorded between 1613 and 1643 (B. Thomas in the exhibition catalogue Welt im Umbruch, Augsburg zwischen Renaissance and Barock, II, Augsburg 1980, pp. 88 and 536-7). Among other works bearing this mark is a black cuirassier armour, and a Zischägge, gorget, and breastplate for a youth, blued and painted with gold, both now in the Philadelphia Museum of Art (Kienbusch collection, Cat., No, 19, Pl. XIX, and No. 35. Pl. XXXVI, respectively); a Zischägge, with etching signed I.W.D., in the Hermitage Museum, Leningrad (Z.O. No. 3028), dated 1623 (S. Pyhrr, letter of 31st December 1981); a complete armour for field and tourney course, possibly of the Emperor Ferdinand III (born 1578, reigned 1619-37), in the Landeszeughaus at Graz (Inv. No. 159; Von Meran, 1880, pp. 37-8, Pl. 13); the armour for the field and tilt of Johann Georg von Brandenburg-Jägendorf (born 1577, reigned 1619-24) formerly in the German Historical Museum at Berlin (Thomas, Deutsche Plattnerkunst, 1944, Pl. 52); a breastplate in the Swiss National Museum, Zürich (Inv. No. KZ4556); a plain half-shaffron in the Musée de la Porte de Hal, Brussels (Inv. No. IV.5); and a jousting helmet formerly in the collection of Lord Brougham and Vaux (sold Christie's, 29th June 1933, lot 19, repr. in cat.).