- Cuisse, greave and integral sabaton
- Unknown Artist / Maker
- Augsburg, Germany
- c. 1580
- Steel, copper alloy, and gold, etched and gilded.
- Weight: 2.67 kg
- Mark: Augsburg guild mark
- European Armoury II
Images & Media
- Leg defence, a pair with A288, comprising a long cuisse of ten lames (not including the knee) articulated on leathers and sliding rivets. The top lame is detachable by means of a slotted rivet, and the pieces is again divisible lower down on the seventh lame.
Decorated with vertical bands of foliage and trophies, etched and gilt, edged with a small fleur-de lys ornament in black; the rivets furnished with brass heads, the edges turned under and diagonally roped. The Augsburg guild mark is stamped on the top lame.
Poleyn of three upper lames attached by slotted rivets to the cuisse, and two others below the knee-piece proper; at the side of the latter is a small side-wing.
Greave of two parts, front and back, not hinged, but fastened together with hooks-and-eyes on both sides of the leg. The front lame bears the Augsburg guild mark.
Integral sabaton of eleven lames (five overlapping tile-wise, a middle plate and five overlapping counter-tilewise, including the narrow, rounded toe-cap); on the toe-cap the band of ornament, en suite with cuisses and greaves, ends in a typical Augsburg double scroll.
The top lame of the cuisse can be detached by means of a dome-headed rivet in a key-hole slot on the outside of the leg and a turning-pin on the inside. The remainder can then be attached direct to the lowest lame of the skirt.
The poleyn is attached to the cuisses by the same method, but to the greave by turning-pins and key-hole slots both inside and outside. The two plates forming the greave are fixed together at two points, both inside and out, by snapping over a pin on the rear plate pierced for a sneck-hook.
The legs are made up at present for combat on foot. The back parts of the greaves have no slot or staples for the attachment of spurs. These plates can be removed in exactly the same way as on the legs of armour A39, and can then be replaced with others fitted with spurs to make the legs for the Feldküriss.
H. Nickel has drawn attention to a pair of arm defences, made up of pieces cut from an armour of identical decoration, associated with a brigandine in the Metropolitan Museum, New York (14.25.1532) which came from the collection of the Duke of Alba.
The arms were previously in the Uboldo collection and were not associated with the brigandine until after they entered the Metropolitan Museum (S. Pyhrr, letter of 1978). The suggestion that they and Nos. A287-8 might have belonged to the 3rd Duke of Alba, made in J.A.A.S., VII, p. 222, cannot, therefore, be sustained.