The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
  • Target
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Italy, possibly Milan
  • c. 1530 - c. 1540
  • Oak, black cuir bouilli, gold and paint, embossed, gilded and tooled
  • Diameter: 57.2 cm
    Weight: 2.34 kg
  • Inscription: 'VERITAS ET PACIENTIA'
  • A310
  • European Armoury III
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Circular shield or target, the basis of oak, convex, and covered with black boiled leather embossed and tooled, the figures in low relief have been painted and gilded. In the centre is a circular panel with the standing figures of Patience discovering Truth, and inscribed:–
    VERITAS ET PACIENT. Around this inscription is a circular band of interlacing foliage with four circular medallions containing representations of Pan, Mars, another warrior, and Hercules slaying the Nemæan Lion. Around the edge runs a band of oak-leaf foliage, panels and bands are bordered with narrow laurel wreaths. The back, originally padded, is lined with leather, tooled with interlacing foliage on a granular ground with a plain oblong panel for the arm; portions of the broad triangular loop for the upper fore-arm and a simple loop for the hand remain.

    The type of interlaced foliage and its arrangement is very similar to that on another round target in the Metropolitan Museum, New York (14.25.780; exhibited The Art of Chivalry, 1982, No. 16), which is ascribed tentatively to Florence, on the ground of its similarity to one from the Medicean armoury, in the Bargello, Florence (M758). This bears the portrait of Alessandro dei Medici and is dated by L. G. Boccia to 1533-6 in the exhibition catalogue Firenze e la Toscana dei Medici nell' Europa del cinquecento, Florence 1980, No. 235. Another target, very similar in design and workmanship, is in the K. Livrustkammer, Stockholm (No. 3934 [7021]). On the reverse are worked the separate arms of Lithuania and of Poland. It was taken as booty by the Swedes in Warsaw in 1655 (G. Ekstrand, letter of 15th June 1983). It may have belonged to Sigismund I of Poland (born 1467, reigned 1506-47), who, incidentally, was married to Bona Sforza, daughter of Gian Galeazzo, Duke of Milan.