The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
  • Stirrup
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • after 1865
  • Copper and gold, chased and gilded
  • Height: 11.1 cm, arch
    Width: 11.1 cm, tread
    Weight: 0.708 kg
  • A426
  • European Armoury III
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Stirrup, a modern copy of A425, of cast copper, chased and gilt. The sides of the arch are decorated with candelabra ornament including a tazza of fruit at the top, foliage, two female satyrs back to back, two mermaids back to back, and at the lower edge two harpies. the box at the top for the stirrup leather is covered in front with an openwork composition of two small boys seated facing each other supporting a basket of fruit, pierced and chiselled.

    This object has been cast in a different metal than that of A425, containing more copper. A426 also reproduces precisely the accidents and idiosyncracies of A425 and therefore must be a later cast taken from it. The purchase receipt made up when A425 was sold to the Vicomte Both de Tauzia in 1865 refers to one stirrup only, so it is highly likely that A426 is a reproduction of the A425 made after this sale, either on the order of the Vicomte, or of the Comte de Nieuwerkerke, who acquired it from him.

    A stirrup in the Kienbusch collection, now in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, has identical decoration on its arch, but the box has a lion's mask with ram's horns (cat., no. 260, pI. LXXXIII). They are also of the same type as the stirrup illustrated by Zschille and Forrer, Die Steigbügel, pl. XI, fig. 3, (now Museo Stibbert, no. 3479).