The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
  • Stirrup
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • South Germany
  • second half of 16th century
  • Steel
  • Height: 10.8 cm, inside arch
    Width: 12 cm, tread
    Weight: 0.59 kg
  • A435
  • European Armoury II
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Stirrup, one of a pair with A434, of bright steel, upside-down U-shaped in outline, the sides elaborately pierced and chased with crowing and fighting birds, grotesque masks, animals and foliage. The ridged borders are chased with a diamond pattern, and finished in acorn-shaped knops. Oval treads of one plate pierced with scrolled foliage, the sides of the tread have a frieze of hounds pursuing a fox, and serrated upper edges. The place which on A434 bears a fox-hunt scene on the side of the tread is here replaced on one side by two dogs. The underside of the tread of one bears a single punch mark, that of the other a double. The elaborate box for the stirrup leather at top is pierced on both sides with a shield of arms (Quarterly, 1-4 Lobowicz; 2-3 Zerotin), probably of Ladislaus II Poppel of Lobkowicz, Burgrave of Bohemia, 1502-84, or his son, Zdenko, first Prince Lobkowicz.

    In the armoury of Prince Lobkowicz, at the Castle of Roudnice (Raudnitz), in Czechoslovakia, is another pair of stirrups with the same arms and decoration, but differing in detail (Dr. Max Dvorak und Dr. Boh. Matejka, Topographie der Historischen und Kunst-Denkmale, XXVII, Teil II, Raudnitzer Schloss, Prague, 1910, p. 170, No. 14, Pl. XIV). Roudnice came to the Lobkowicz family by the second marriage, in 1603, of Polyxena von Bernstein (widow of Wilhelm von Rosenberg, Lord of Roudnice) with Zdenko Lobkowicz. The arms were also borne by a line of cousins of the Poppels of Lobkowicz, to which Adam Goll von Lobkowicz traditionally belonged, but the catalogue of the Historisches Museum at Dresden (where there is a third pair of similar stirrups) suggests that Adam Goll was probably a son of Ladislaus II.
    There are other stirrups of similar type in the Historisches Museum, Dresden (Führer, pp.196, 249); in the Musée de l' Armée, Paris, the arms being replaced on this pair by a panel of conventional flowers (L' Art Ancien, V, 628; Robert, G 646 (?)); in the Museum für Deutsche Geschichte, Berlin, this pair also without the shield of arms (Zschille and Forrer, Die Steigbügel, Note to fig. 5, taf. XII); in the Metropolitan Museum, New York (with no arms; no.25.188.3 B. Dean, Bulletin, XXI, 1926, pp. 43-5); at Munich; and in the Spitzer Collection (sold Paris, 10-14 June, 1895, lot 477).