- Munich, Germany
- c. 1600
- Steel, blued
- Length: 101.7 cm
Length: 85.6 cm, blade
Width: 4.5 cm, blade width above the ricasso
Balance point: 8.9 cm, forward of the guard block
- Maker's mark: Crowned 'S / T'
- European Armoury II
Images & Media
- Sword, the military swept hilt made up of a pommel of flattened cylindrical form, with button; wire-bound grip; single curving rear quillon, the end with straight horizontal recurve and widening at the end; hilt-arms, double ring, loop connecting with knuckle-guard, and two transverse bars on the inner side, the whole of blued steel. Broad but short double-edged cut-and-thrust blade, of flattened diamond section, the narrow ricasso deeply stamped on either side with the maker's mark, the letters S/T crowned, used by Wolfgang Stantler, the Munich bladesmith.
This sword belongs to one of the three classes of early 17th-century cavalry swords, of which large numbers are in the Bavarian National Museum, Munich. They were formerly in the Bayerisches Armeemuseum in Ingolstadt, when the late Dr. Stöcklein disposed of many surplus specimens by exchange. These are now scattered among many collections. Examples which left Munich, like this one, at an earlier date, are in the Royal Armouries. This group of swords from Munich, and the similar group at Brussels, are discussed by Stöcklein, in 'Munchner Klingenschmiede'', Z.H.W.K., VIII, 1918-20, pp. 202-3; Norman & Barne, 1980, pp. 128 and 232.
A532 and 652 bear a crowned S/T, but of a different type.