The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Wheel-lock rifle or 'Tschinke' with ramrod
  • Wheel-lock rifle or 'Tschinke' with ramrod
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • East Europe, possibly Poland or East Germany
  • c. 1630
  • Steel, copper alloy, wood, mother-of-pearl, ivory or possibly antler and wood, engraved and pierced
  • Length: 116.2 cm, overall
    Length: 88.4 cm, barrel
    Width: 0.9 cm, calibre
    Weight: 3.8 kg
  • Inscription: 'M K'
  • A1106
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Wheel-lock rifle (Tschinke), with an octagonal barrel inlaid at either end in the middle with brass, roughly engraved with guilloche and flower ornament. At the breech are engraved the initials M K. Rifling of six grooves.

    Lock with external wheel and mainspring. There is a heavy, curved bridle though which projects the extension for the winding key. All parts of the lock, including lock-plate, cock and bridle are covered on their exterior surfaces with plates of brass, elaborately engraved and pierced in the forms of birds, monsters, animals and human heads. The spring of the cock and the bend of the mainspring are covered with similar plates, which are detachable. The long cocking spur ends in a bird, pierced and engraved. There is a release button for the pan-cover spring and a press-in cocking lever as is usual with locks of this type.

    Stock of light coloured wood, decorated with strips and panels of brass engraved with foliage, running ornament and animals, while the free spaces are closely filled with small inlays of mother-of-pearl and green stained ivory. Underneath is a brass plaque engraved with a stag. There is a sliding butt-trap cover, and at the top of the heel-plate a faceted brass knob to save the edge of the butt from damage when in contact with the ground. Near the fore-end is a brass loop for a sling. Wooden ramrod tipped with engraved mother-of-pearl and inlaid with small, circular ornaments in the same material. Brass trigger-guard indented for the fingers.

    Hungarian (Transylvania), about 1630.

    There is a Tschinke with similar decoration in the German Historical Museum, Berlin, and another comes from the Pauilhac collection, now Musée de l'Armée, Paris (inv. no. M.Po.576). For an account of the Tschinke, see under A1105.

    Two of the screws of the lock-plate have composite heads of brass and what is probably antler. One is stained green. The inlay of the stock may be of antler rather than of ivory.

    Hayward, Art of the Gunmaker, I, 1962, pp. 167 and 290, pI. 39a, as Polish or East German.

    The barrel-maker's mark is not in N. Støckel. It occurs also on a Tschinke in the Odescalchi collection (inv. no. 1; Carpegna, Firearms, 1975, no. 20, illus., where a similarly marked Tschinke is mentioned, formerly in the Thun-Hohenstein gunroom, sold at Fischer's, Lucerne, 17 June 1964, lot 233, repr. in cat.). Another example is in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich (no. W4828; Hoff, Feuerwaffen, II, 1969, fig. 69), and another, also with comparable brass inlay to its stock, is in the Polish Army Museum, Warsaw (inv. no. 33643X; Zygulski, 1982, pI. 65). The initials do not unfortunately coincide with any of the names of Teschen gun-makers published by Karger, Waffen- und Kostümkunde, 1964, pp. 29-42.