The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Wheel-lock rifle or 'Tschinke' with ramrod
  • Wheel-lock rifle or 'Tschinke' with ramrod
  • Attributed to Pawel Kaliwoda (active between: c. 1650)
  • Teschen, Silesia, East Europe
  • c. 1650 - c. 1675
  • Steel, gold, copper alloy, antler, mother-of-pearl, blued, engraved and gilded
  • Length: 121 cm, overall
    Length: 94 cm, barrel
    Width: 0.9 cm, calibre
    Weight: 2.895 kg
  • Stamp: 'P K'
  • A1109
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Wheel-lock rifle (Tschinke), with an octagonal barrel flaring slightly at the muzzle, the surface blued and engraved, or punched with three groups of scrollwork. At the breech are stamped the initials PK. Tubular peepsight. There are traces of gilding by the foresight. Small hexagonal bore.

    Lock of usual form. Lock-plate, cock, fence and pan-cover engraved with a pattern of flowers and foliage, and formerly blued. Brass plates over the mainspring and cock-spring are crudely engraved with flowers and birds. Cocking button and pan-cover catch button capped with brass. The outer face of the bridle for the wheel-spindle has a brass covering.

    Stock inlaid with oval and circular plaques of antler and panels of strapwork, and on the butt of mother-of-pearl also. On the left of the butt is a representation of a hawk attacking a hare, on the right, two deer affrontés. Butt-trap with sliding cover. Antler heel-plate with protective knob. Indented steel trigger-guard. Steel ramrod.

    Silesia, probably by P. Kaliwoda of Teschen, third quarter of the seventeenth century.

    The same maker's initials as those on the barrel of A1109 are frequently found on Tschinke barrels; there is one in the Royal Armouries (inv. no. XII. 47) and there are three in the Musée de l' Armée (nos. M 359, M 361, M 363).

    The peep-sight is probably either a modern replacement, or for close-range target work, since the aperture is too fine to be used for game on the ground.

    The mark on the barrel, which is N. Støckel, I, p. 609, no. a 4295, has been identified by V. Karger as probably being that of Pawel Kaliwoda, gunsmith and burgher of Teschen, recorded in 1650 (Waffen- und Kostümkunde, 1964, p. 38). The decoration of the stock is very similar indeed to that of a Tschinke by the same maker in the collection of J. Haynes in 1974. Other examples of his work were in the collection of Friedrich Rudolph von Berthold, sold Heberle, Cologne, 25-6 May 1898, lot 427, repr. in cat.; another was sold at Christie's 19 February 1975, lot 175, pI. 19; another is in Vienna (Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer, inv. no. D126; Schedelmann, 1972, p. 119); and yet another at Schloss Wilhelmshöhe.