The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Wheel-lock pistol with ramrod
  • Wheel-lock pistol with ramrod
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Nuremberg, Germany
  • c. 1590
  • Steel, pear-wood, antler, engraved
  • Length: 52.7 cm, overall
    Length: 31.4 cm, barrel
    Width: 1.7 cm, calibre
    Weight: 1.93 kg
  • Stamp: Guild mark of Nuremberg
    Maker's mark: Lion rampant
    Stamp: Mark of Nuremberg
    Maker's mark
  • A1147
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Wheel-lock pistol, the barrel octagonal at the breech, and swelling outward at the muzzle. There is a very long breech-strap. At the breech are stamped the guild mark of Nuremberg and a maker's mark of a lion rampant.

    Lock with external wheel covered by a steel plate pierced and engraved with monsters. The flat cock is roughly engraved with a monster's head. There is a release button for the pan-cover catch, but the safety-catch is missing. The lock-plate is deeply stamped with the mark of Nuremberg and a maker's mark.

    Stock with fluted ball butt of pear-wood inlaid with animals, monsters and foliage. On the nearside a composition of four figures of engraved antler: a fool carrying off a man on his back pursued by a monk with a stick, while another fool kneels behind. Wooden ramrod with steel tip threaded internally for a cleaning implement.

    German (Nuremberg), about 1590.

    The same mark as that on the lock-plate is also found on the locks of wheel-lock pistols in the Royal Armouries, XII, 717 (also with Nuremberg mark); in the Victoria and Albert Museum, no. M 629-1927; one formerly in the German Historical Museum, Berlin; at Schloss Dyck, no. 468 (with snake-mark and Nuremberg mark on barrel); and on a rifle in the Porte de Hal, Brussels, no. IX, 32. Compare also the mark on the lock of a pistol at Stockholm, no. 299.
    The part of the barrel in front of the octagonal section is cylindrical. The breech-strap extends to the ball of the butt.

    The maker's mark on the lock is N. Støckel, II, p. 1262, no. b4836, ascribed to Nuremberg about 1576-90.