The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Double wheel-lock pistol with ramrod
  • Double wheel-lock pistol with ramrod
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Nuremberg, Germany
  • c. 1600
  • Steel, wood, antler and whale-bone, engraved and stained
  • Length: 86.3 cm, overall
    Length: 62 cm, barrels
    Width: 0.7 cm, calibre
    Weight: 2.47 kg
  • Stamp: Nuremberg mark
    Stamp: Snake
    Maker's mark: 'H.R.' and a sun
    Stamp: 'M.G' under a heart
  • A1151
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Double-barrelled wheel-lock pistol, the barrels octagonal at the breech, the remainder round, and moulded at the muzzle. They are fixed in the 'over and under' position, and so placed that the muzzles converge, while the breech ends are widely separated to accommodate the locks. Both barrels are stamped near the breech with the Nuremberg mark and a mark of a snake.
    Locks of plain steel, with external wheels reversed and placed on opposite sides of the stock. Both lock-plates bear the maker's mark, H.R. and a sun.
    Stock of light-coloured wood, inlaid with strips of engraved antler, and at intervals rosettes and masks of the same material, partly stained green. Faceted oviform butt. Below one of the locks are stamped the letters M.G. under a heart. The whale-bone ramrod with engraved antler tip is inserted in a socket between the barrels. On the nearside of the stock is a long, steel saddle-hook.

    German (Nuremberg), about 1600.

    Skelton, vol. II, pl. CXXII, no. 10.

    Provenance: Sir Samuel Meyrick; Frédéric Spitzer.

    The mark of a snake is frequently found on pistol barrels between the initials P.D., together with the Nuremberg mark (see also A1168-9), and has been ascribed to Peter Danner (Lenz, Hermitage, pp. 235, 267) or Peter Dauer (Støckel) of Nuremberg.

    The mark H.R. and a sun occurs on the locks of the wheel-lock pistols A1152-3 below. It is also found on the locks of a double-barrelled, wheel-lock pistol in the Hermitage, G 224, and in the German Historical Museum, Berlin; on the lock of a pistol in the Leiden Sale, Cologne, 1934, lot 763; and on the lock of a pistol in the Mackay sale, 1939, lot 19.

    Hayward, Art of the Gunmaker, I, 1962, p. 283, pI. 14c.

    Provenance: probably no. 18 in the list of arms and armour acquired by Meyrick from D. Colnaghi, about 1818, now in the Library of the Royal Armouries.

    The second mark on the barrels does not appear to be listed by N. Støckel. The lock-maker's mark, which is similar to that on A1150 and A1152-3, resembles N. Støckel, II, p. 1089, nos. b 3064, b 8160, and b 8161, ascribed to Nuremberg, about 1580 to 1620. It also occurs on a wheel-lock gun in the Odescalchi collection, Rome (inv. no. 6; Carpegna, Firearms, 1975, no. 7, with a list of other pieces with this mark).