The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Wheel-lock pistol
  • Wheel-lock pistol
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Italy
  • c. 1610 - c. 1620
  • Steel, walnut wood, pierced and inlaid
  • Length: 31.8 cm, overall
    Length: 17.5 cm, barrel
    Width: 1.5 cm, calibre
    Weight: 1.05 kg
  • Maker's mark stamped
    Stamp: 'F. MARQUIS A PARIS' Probably the name of the restorer
  • A1183
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Wheel-lock pistol, with a short, heavy barrel octagonal at the breech, where it is ornamented with longitudinal reeding, then polygonal. The breech-strap is reeded to within half an inch of the barrel, where a plain panel is interposed and stamped with a maker's mark.

    Lock with external wheel, the ring-shaped bearing plate being pierced with a running pattern, the face of the wheel itself decorated with a turned concentric moulding. Plain, steel lock-plate stamped with a maker's mark similar to that on the breech-strap. The cock has a baluster-shaped arm.
    Walnut stock of petronel form, ornamented with simple arabesques inlaid in steel. On the left side between the lock-screws there projects a steel ring or eye. The ramrod is missing. On the stock underneath the lock-plate is stamped: F. MARQUIS A PARIS, probably the name of a modern restorer. The stock shows traces of skilful repair.

    Italian, about 1610-20.

    Gaibi, Armi da fuoco, 1962, p. 101, pI. 28; and Armi da fuoco, 1978, fig. 55.
    The mark which is found on both lock and barrel is not recorded in N. Støckel. It is cited but not identified by A. Gaibi (1978, p. 46, no. 12). M. Morin has suggested that an external mark on a lock of Italian type may in fact indicate German manufacture. As he shows, many Brescian gunsmiths made use of locks imported from Germany (1979, pp. 80-99, caption to fig. 13). Gaibi ascribes no. A1183 either to Milan or to Brescia (loc. cit., 1962), and dates it 1610-20 (loc. cit., 1978). J. F. Hayward and C. Blair dated it slightly earlier (personal communication, 1963). The name on the stock is recorded by P. Jarlier and identified as a Parisian gun-maker, Francis Marquis, active from about 1835 to 1872, at first at no. 2, and later at no. 4, boulevard des Italiens (Répertoire, col. 186).