The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Flint-lock pistol with ramrod
  • Flint-lock pistol with ramrod
  • Attributed to Jacomo Lazarino Cominazzo (1608 - c. 1660) , (barrel)
  • Attributed to Jacomo Lazarino Cominazzo (1608 - c. 1660), (barrel)
    Carlo Fondrini (1580 - c. 1640), (lock)
  • Brescia, Italy
  • c. 1645
  • Steel, walnut wood and silk, chiselled and engraved
  • Length: 56.7 cm, overall
    Length: 38.9 cm, barrel
    Width: 1.3 cm, calibre
    Weight: 0.75 kg
  • Inscription: 'LAZARINO COMINAZO'
    Inscription: '1'
    Inscription: 'carlo fondrino in bressia'
  • A1226
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
Further Reading
  • Flint-lock pistol, one of a pair with A1225. Barrel of round section flattened along the sighting line at the top and inscribed at the breech:

    LAZARINO COMINAZZO

    The breech-strap carries the backsight line at the top and is engraved with the number 2.

    Lock chiselled in low relief over its entire surface with interlacing foliage involving in the centre of the lock-plate the double eagle and the Bindenschild of Austria. The cock is flat in section and similarly chiselled and pierced. The steel spring is on the interior of the lock-plate. On the bottom edge of the latter is inscribed:

    carlo fondrino in bressia,

    Stock of walnut, slightly carved in places, and reeded with longitudinal grooves along the fore-end. It is inlaid with steel panels pierced and engraved in the Brescian manner with a delicate pattern of interlacing foliage and trophies with, in each case, as central motif, the Imperial arms of Austria. Steel butt-cap pierced and engraved en suite and backed with crimson silk. Steel-trigger-guard chiselled with acanthus foliage and a central panel of minute decoration involving a coat of arms featuring a double-headed eagle as its primary device. The breech-strap is engraved with the number 1. Ramrod pipe pierced en suite with the inlaid decoration. Wooden ramrod with vase-shaped steel tip engraved en suite, and hollow steel ferrule.

    Italian (Brescian), about 1645.

    There is a pair of pistols with locks by Fondrino and barrels by Lazarino Cominazzo in the collection of Mr. W. G. Renwick.

    For a note on the Cominazzo family, see under A1195.

    The locks have no bridles inside or out.

    Gaibi, Armi da fuoco, 1962, p. 124, pI. 121B; Hoff, Feuerwaffen, I, 1969, fig. 219; Gaibi, Armi da fuoco, 1978, fig. 327. A. Gaibi (loc. cit., 1962) gave Fondrini's dates as 1580 to about 1640, and attributed the barrels to Jacomo ? Lazarino Cominazzo (1608-about 1660). In 1978 he suggested that the eagles in the decoration might indicate that the pistols were made for a member of the Hapsburg family. The device described in the 1962 Catalogue as 'the Imperial arms of Austria' is a double-headed eagle, its wings displayed erect, its heads crowned; on its breast an oval escutcheon charged with a fesse. N. di Carpegna, however, has suggested that these are more likely to be the arms of the Giustiniani, an influential Venetian family (letter of 12 June 1984; quoting Alessandro Vecchi, in his Le armi overo insegne di tutti li nobile della magnifica & illustrissima citta di Venezia, Venice 1596). He subsequently pointed out that a Pietro Giustiniani was Podesta (mayor) of Brescia in 1650, and a Giustiniano Giustiniani was Capitano (military governor) in 1654. He dates the group of pistols to which these belong to 1645-55 (letter of 3 July 1984).