The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Combined halberd, fork and wheel-lock pistol
  • Combined halberd, fork and wheel-lock pistol
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Germany
  • c. 1580
  • Steel, copper alloy and wood, blued
  • Length: 215 cm
    Length: 32.2 cm, barrel
    Width: 1 cm, calibre
    Weight: 2.792 kg
  • Maker's mark Stamped
    Stamp: Indistinct mark, possibly that of Nuremberg
  • A1238
  • European Armoury III
Commentary
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Combined halberd, fork and wheel-lock pistol. Small crescent-shaped axe-blade, balanced by a down-curved fluke, both pierced with a trefoil of three small holes; the beak is stamped on the left side with a maker's mark. The head is surmounted by two parallel spikes of strong diamond section forming a narrow fork. Tubular socket. To the right side of the halberd-head is affixed a pistol barrel, the lock being attached immediately below the socket and accommodated in the staff.

    Barrel, octagonal at the breech, the remainder round, the two sections separated by a turned moulding. Brass back- and fore-sights.
    Lock with external wheel covered by a domed casing; pan-cover release button. The lock-plate retains some of the original blueing; at the bottom edge is an indistinct mark, which may be that of Nuremberg.

    The trigger is placed at a point approximately 30 inches from the bottom of the staff and is connected to the sear by a thin rod which passes along the centre of the staff. Immediately behind the trigger-lever is a safety-catch which, if pushed forward, locks the trigger.

    Staff of dark wood, the surface roughened to within 14 inches of the butt by projecting granulations to improve the grip. Ferrule with spiked end, the spike pierced with a square hole.

    German (Nuremberg?), about 1580.

    Blackmore, Guns and Rifles of the World, 1965, fig. 782. This kind of combined weapon was usually employed solely for hunting. The mark is not apparently recorded in N. Støckel.