The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Vase 'à bandes' of the first size
  • Vase and Cover
  • Vase 'à bandes' of the first size
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Etienne-Henry Le Guay, The Elder (1719 - 1799), Gilder
    Probably Charles-Nicolas Dodin (1734 - 1803), Painter
  • Sèvres, France
  • c. 1776 (vase and cover)
  • Soft-paste porcelain, painted and gilded
  • Object size: 43 x 20.7 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls
    Gilder's mark: 'LG' for Etienne-Henry Le Guay
    Incised mark: 'P.T.'
  • C318
  • Study
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • This vase model features a complex arrangement of strap-like studded bands, rings, and laurel swags on the sides, which gave the model its name.

    It is decorated with a ‘beau bleu’ ground and a pastoral scene, probably painted by Charles-Nicolas Dodin (op. 1754-1802) who was one of Sèvres’ most skilled figure painters. The gallant anglers are derived from Jacques-Firmin Beauvarlet’s engraving after Boucher’s ‘La pêche’, while the flower vase adorning the back may be based on an overdoor painting surviving in the Sèvres archives. The overdoor in turn seems to derive from Daniel Marot’s ‘Nouveaux Livre de Taleaux (sic) de portes et de chiminée utiles aux peintres en Floeurs (sic)’.
    The rich gilding of foliage and leaf garlands was applied by Étienne-Henry Le Guay (op. 1742-3, 1748-9, 1751-96). He became one of Sèvres’ most skilled gilders despite having lost his left hand in a battle during his military career.

    With a similarly decorated piece now in the Royal Collection, the vase was possibly delivered to the château of Versailles on 25 December 1776.