- Cup and Saucer
- Goblet 'litron' et soucoupe of the second size
Manufacture de Sèvres
- Jean-Louis Morin (1732 - 1787), Painter
- Sèvres, France
- c. 1774 - 1775
probably 19th century (replacement saucer)
- Soft-paste porcelain, painted and gilded
- Cup, Height: 6.8 cm
Saucer, Diameter: 13.3 cm
- Factory mark: Interlaced Ls enclosing 'x' the date letter for 1775 Painted
Painter's mark: 'M' for Jean-Louis Morin Painted
Mark: A thick 'O' In underglaze blue
Mark: A symbol for tin Gilded
Incised mark: Indecipherable
Images & Media
- The European cup for drinking tea evolved gradually during the first half of the eighteenth century, adapted from the Chinese porcelain tea bowls in which tea was originally drunk when it became fashionable in Europe at the end of the seventeenth century. By 1752, the Vincennes manufactory (the early name for Sèvres) was making a wide range of tea wares, many models of the early 1750s remaining in production for the rest of the century. Most cups and saucers could be used for tea, coffee or chocolate, often being sold with matching teapots or, more rarely, coffee pots.
From the 1760s there was a fashion for collecting differently decorated examples. Examples of this shape of cup and saucer, the 'gobelet litron et soucoupe', which were elaborately decorated or were made in miniature size, were probably made for display rather than use. It is a measure of the success of Sèvres that domestic items were considered works of art as soon as they left the factory.
The painting and gilding on this cup are of high quality. It is decorated with an overglaze-blue ground and painted with harbour scenes. The artist Jean-Louis Morin (op. 1754-87) - one of Sèvres's most accomplished figure painters - was paid for decorating two ‘gobelets litron marines’ in 1774, and the scene also appears on a vase of 1763 at Waddesdon Manor.
The handle on the cup may be the design known as 'anse nouvelle à feuille', first listed at Sèvres in 1774. The saucer is probably a replacement; the style of painting is different (and greenish in colour) and the gilding is a poor imitation of that on the cup. It was probably made at Sèvres in the eighteenth century, but decorated in the 19th century, perhaps in England.
, on the cup by J.-L. Morin, and gilded.