The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Gobelet 'litron' et soucoupe of the first size
  • Cup and saucer
  • Gobelet 'litron' et soucoupe of the first size
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Charles-Nicolas Dodin (1734 - 1803), Painter
    Etienne-Henry Le Guay, The Elder (1719 - 1799), Gilder
  • Sèvres, France
  • 1790
  • Soft-paste porcelain, painted and gilded
  • Cup, Height: 7.5 cm
    Saucer, Diameter: 14.5 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls enclosing 'NN' the date letter for 1970 Painted
    Painter's mark: 'k' for Charles-Nicolas Dodin Painted
    Gilder's mark: 'LG' for Etienne-Henry Le Guay Painted in gilding
    Incised mark: '29' Partly concealed by an inscription
    Incised mark: 'IG'
    Incised mark: 'Pr'
    Incised mark: '29' Partially concealed by an inscription
    Inscription: 'Persée épouse Andromède'
    Inscription: 'la Beauté gouvernée par la Raison récompensée par le Mérite'
  • C354
  • Study
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • The European cup for drinking tea evolved gradually during the first half of the eighteenth century, adapted from the Chinese porcelain tea bowls in which tea was originally drunk when it became fashionable in Europe at the end of the seventeenth century. By 1752, the Vincennes manufactory (the early name for Sèvres) was making a wide range of tea wares, many models of the early 1750s remaining in production for the rest of the century. Most cups and saucers could be used for tea, coffee or chocolate, often being sold with matching teapots or, more rarely, coffee pots.
    From the 1760s there was a fashion for collecting differently decorated examples. Examples of this shape of cup and saucer, the 'gobelet litron et soucoupe', which were elaborately decorated or were made in miniature size were probably made for display rather than use. It is a measure of the success of Sèvres that domestic items were considered works of art as soon as they left the factory.
    This cup and saucer are decorated with an overglaze-blue ground and painted with mythological scenes, by Charles-Nicolas Dodin (op. 1754-1802/3), one of the finest painters at Sèvres. The cup shows the 'Marriage of Perseus' and Andromeda after Charles Eisen, engraved by Jean Massard an edition of Ovid’s Metamorphoses published in 1767-71, while on the saucer 'Beauty governed by Reason rewarded by Meri't is from an engraving by Jean-Marie Delattre after Angelika Kauffman of 1782.