The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Possibly gobelet 'couvert' of the first size and soucoupe 'litron' of the first size
  • Cup and Saucer
  • Possibly gobelet 'couvert' of the first size and soucoupe 'litron' of the first size
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • André-Vincent Vielliard (1717 - 1790), Painter
  • Sèvres, France
  • 1766
  • Soft-paste porcelain, painted and gilded
  • Cup, Height: 6.6 cm
    Saucer, Diameter: 14.5 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls enclosing 'n' the date letter for 1766 Painted
    Painter's mark: For André-Vincent Vielliard Painted
    Incised mark: 'CL'
    Incised mark: 'M'
  • C369
  • Back State Room
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • The European cup for drinking tea evolved gradually during the first half of the eighteenth century, adapted from the Chinese porcelain tea bowls in which tea was originally drunk when it became fashionable in Europe at the end of the seventeenth century. By 1752, the Vincennes manufactory (the early name for Sèvres) was making a wide range of tea wares, many models of the early 1750s remaining in production for many years, like this one, the ‘gobelet couvert et soucoupe’, of which examples are known from 1753 until c. 1780.
    The straight-sided cup, indented at the base, was made with and without handles, and was often produced with a slightly domed cover with a flower knop. It was combined with two different styles of saucers: either ‘litron’, with a deep, sloping side (see museum numbers C345-56), or ‘Bouillard’, a plain shallow bowl (museum numbers C357-9).
    Gobelets couvertes were included in déjeuners (that is, with a tray) or were sold with a sugar bowl or teapot. They were also used for coffee drinking. The cover kept the contents of the cup warm, but is missing in this example.
    The set is decorated with intricate dotted trellis-work and painted with gardening tools and items from the dairy. Decoration of such rustic implements was in favour at Vincennes/Sèvres until 1768.