The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Toilet mirror
  • Toilet mirror
  • Attributed to André-Charles Boulle (1642 - 1732)
  • Pierre Ladoireau, Goldsmith, gilt-bronze sphinx feet and border
  • France
  • 1713
    1800 - 1900 (looking-glass)
    1863 - 1863 (coronet added by Delaroche)
  • Oak, ebony, première-partie Boulle marquetry of brass and turtleshell, gilt bronze, brass feet, glass
  • Height: 73 cm
    Width: 56 cm
  • F50
  • Billiard Room
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • This toilet mirror was supplied to the duchesse de Berry (1695-1719) by the dealer Alexis Delaroue in 1713. Although attributed to Boulle, the sphinx feet and some of the gilt-bronze border were added later in the same year by the goldsmith Pierre Ladoireau. The design of the première-partie marquetry on the back of the mirror is after an engraving by Jean Bérain (1637-1711), in 1674 appointed Dessinateur de la Chambre et du Cabinet du Roi. At some time in the eighteenth century the arms of the duchesse de Berry (1695-1719), daughter of Philippe, duc d’Orléans, Regent of France, were removed. The present marquess’s coronet was added for the 4th Marquess of Hertford in 1868.