The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Candelabrum
  • Candelabrum
  • Attributed to François Rémond (1747 - 1812)
  • After Étienne Maurice Falconet (1716 - 1791), Bronze figure
  • France
  • c. 1785
  • Gilt bronze and bleu turquin marble
  • Height: 97 cm
    Width: 41.5 cm
  • Inscription: '47'
  • F141
  • Boudoir
Commentary
History
Further Reading
  • The patinated-bronze figures on the candelabra (F140 and F141) are both after sculptures by E.- M. Falconet: A Little Girl hiding Cupid’s Bow and Cupid. The plaster version of the Little Girl was exhibited at the Salon of 1761 and the marble original of the Cupid at the Salon of 1757. The candle branches appear to be after a model by François Rémond, on which pairs of three- and two-light wall-lights at Fontainebleau also seem to be based. Falconet is not, however, cited in Rémond's 'journal de commerce', which suggests that the figures may have been cast and chased by someone else, making the candelabra works of collaboration and probably one commissioned by Dominique Daguerre since a pair of candelabra of the same model was in the Daguerre sale of March 1791.
    The candelabra were in the collection of the 4th Marquess by 1865, when they were lent to the Musée Rétrospectif. They are recorded at 2 rue Laffitte in 1871, exhibited at Bethnal Green between 1872-5 and were located in the Reynolds Drawing Room – now the Small Drawing Room - at Hertford House in 1890 and 1898.