The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Candlestick
  • Candlestick
  • Attributed to François Rémond (1747 - 1812) , Gilder
  • France
  • 1784 - 1786
  • Gilt bronze
  • Height: 21.8 cm
    Diameter: 9 cm, base
  • Stamp: 'TH' and a fleur-de-lis / crowned 'TH 7056'
  • F170
Commentary
History
Further Reading
  • One of four candlesticks (F170-173). The stems of each are in the form of caryatids supporting triangular platforms on their heads, on which stand
    baskets filled with fruit and flowers. The candlesticks can be securely attributed to the master gilder François Rémond: a pair of candlesticks of the same model was supplied to the marchand-mercier, or dealer, Dominique Daguerre by Rémond on 10 April 1784 at a cost of 1,100 livres. He also provided Daguerre with at least two further pairs: one in 1785 for the comte d'Artois' apartments in the Temple, and one in 1786 for Princess Kinsky. During the Revolution, both these pairs were transferred to the Palace of the Tuileries where they were inventoried in the Salon in 1823. The two Wallace Collection pairs were acquired separately by Lord Hertford in the 19th century, but this one (F170-171) bears the mark of the Tuileries so may thus be from either the comte d'Artois or Princess Kinsky.
    The figure groups for this model of candlestick were chased for Rémond by François-Aimé Damerat (master 1781). In 1796 Rémond was still making this model of candlestick, but with the figures raised on fluted columns above three circular steps.