- Unknown Artist / Maker
- c. 1768 - c. 1770
1956 (upholstery added)
- Walnut, carved and gilded, modern yellow floral silk lampas
- Object size: 106 x 68.5 x 59.8 cm
- European Armoury III
- This chair is part of a set (F219-32) of two sofas and twelve armchairs that was made in Paris but was probably imported into England, where the pieces were gilded and upholstered, as soon as it was made. The set was bought by the 14th Earl of Shrewsbury for furnishing the drawing room of his country house, Heythrop Hall, in Oxfordshire. The design is representative of the transition period between the Louis XV and Louis XVI styles, with the straight legs and richly carved classical motifs of the latter but the lingering curves of the rococo period.
While the name of the maker is unknown, Svend Eriksen has compared the pendent floral swags on the chairs with those in designs of 1766 by Jean-Louis Prieur for seat furniture for the Royal Palace in Warsaw.
The set was bought by John Webb for the 4th Marquess of Hertford at the Alton Towers sale, Christie's, 6 July - 8 August 1857.