The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Armchair
  • Armchair
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Turin, Italy
  • c. 1715
  • Walnut, velvet, brass (possibly) nails, webbing, steel springs, horsehair
  • Object size: 138 x 72.5 x 63.5 cm
  • F489
  • Billiard Room
Commentary
History
Further Reading
  • This chair and its pair (F490) can be securely attributed to a workshop in Turin on account of the resemblance to eight gilt side chairs in the Palazzo Racconigi, near Turin, which have backs and stretchers of the same design, combined with straight legs. Two chairs of the same model as the Racconigi ones were sold from the Guggenheim collection in 1913. Five further chairs of the same model were sold at North Mymms Park in 1979; two of these have since been acquired by the Toledo Museum of Art and one by the J.Paul Getty Museum. The sprung upholstery seems to be nineteenth-century, and could have been renewed between 1846, when they were probably acquired by Sir Richard Wallace, and 1871, when they were listed in the rue Laffitte with their present velvet covers. An etching of both chairs published by Lièvre between 1873 and 1885 does not show the present close-nailing, but it does appear to be contemporary with the velvet covers.