The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Horn of St Hubert
  • Horn
  • Horn of St Hubert
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Southern Netherlands or France
  • late 15th century
  • Cow horn; gesso or ambergris; silver, enamel and gold, enamelled; silk
  • Length: 49.6 cm
    Diameter: 5.8 cm, at mouth
  • W31
  • Sixteenth Century Gallery
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Horns were used to signal at the chase and in battle and could be richly decorated if they had religious associations or were owned by a wealthy individual. This horn was given to Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, by the Bishop of Liège in 1468. It had been preserved at Liège among the relics of St Hubert (died 727) who had been the bishop of that town. A hunting horn had particular significance because St Hubert had been converted to Christianity through a vision of Christ experienced while out hunting. The horn was then housed at the chapel of St Hubert, founded by Charles the Bold, at Chauvirey-le-Châtel (Haute Saône). In 1869 the horn, together with the chapel and castle of Chauvirey, passed to the comte de Scey who sold the horn to Sir Richard Wallace ten years later.