- Unknown Artist / Maker
- Venice or 'façon de Venise'
- second half of the 17th century
- Composite vessel assembled from sections of two glasses in mulberry, aquamarine-blue and colourless glass, the latter with a very slight yellow tinge; tooling; diamond-point engraving; colourless top knop with green paint inside.
- Height: 17.5 cm
Diameter: 7 cm, of bowl
Diameter: 8.3 cm, of foot
- Sixteenth Century Gallery
Images & Media
- The bowl of this composite glass was originally combined with a colourless stem of the present type, as shown by the top knop, which was originally colourless but now appears green (see 'Current Condition'). Stems of this type usually incorporate four or five knops, but here the creation of a composite vessel, combining parts from two different glasses, has resulted in a six-knop stem.
Hollow stems with diminishing knops were made throughout the seventeenth century, as is shown by drawings of glasses by Italian artists such as Jacopo Ligozzi (Gabinetto dei Disegni e delle Stampe degli Uffizi) that date to the early part of the century and three glasses incorporating coins dating to the later part of the century. One of the latter (Corning Museum of Glass), containing a coin of Pope Innocent XI and dated to between 1676 and 1689, also has a similar bowl shape to C553.
Diamond-point engraving, originally a Roman glass decorating technique, was revived in Renaissance Venice by Vincenzo d'Angelo, who applied for a patent to use the technique on blown glass in 1549. The somewhat crude style of diamond-point engraving seen on the bowl of C553 recurs on many Venetian-style drinking glasses, with a variety of bowl and stem forms. Glasses on colourless stems, with variously shaped mulberry bowls bearing crudely engraved floral decoration, are not uncommon.
Composite Venetian-style glasses reflect the demand for Venetian Renaissance glass amongst collectors in the third quarter of the nineteenth century.