The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Possibly vase 'Bachelier à anses élevées' of the second (or third) size
  • Pair of Vases and Covers
  • Possibly vase 'Bachelier à anses élevées' of the second (or third) size
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Possibly Jean-Jacques Bachelier (1724 - 1806), Designer
    Probably Etienne-Henry Le Guay, The Elder (1719 - 1799), Gilder
  • Sèvres, France
  • 1769 (vase and cover)
  • Soft-paste porcelain, gilded
  • C288, Object size: 44.8 x 24 cm
    C289, Object size: 44.9 x 24.4 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls and '1969'
    Incised mark: 'Bo'
  • C288-9
  • Dining Room
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Illustrating the new neoclassical forms which became fashionable in the 1760s, these vases feature typical decorative motifs from that period – pine knops, Vitruvian and acanthus scroll bands and scrolled acanthus leaves forming handles on the sides. The model was designed by Jean-Jacques Bachelier (op. 1748/51-93), who oversaw the painted decoration at Sèvres and occasionally supplied vase models from the mid-1760s.
    Decorated with an overglaze ‘bleu nouveau’ ground (introduced in 1763 to replace the previous underglaze blue), the exquisite gilding includes elaborate bands of scrolled foliage. The gilding was applied by Etienne-Henry Le Guay (op. 1742-3, 1748-9, 1751-96), a long-serving worker and the factory’s finest gilder, despite having lost the use of his left hand during a sword fight.
    Assembled as a garniture with three other vases now at the Wallace Collection (C333 and C321-2) the vases were presented by the comte d’Artois to François Charles de Velbrück, prince bishop of Liège in 1781. In the nineteenth century they found their way into the collection of Felix Montfort (also recorded as the Count of Schomburg) and Lord Wellesley (Brussels).