The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Possibly vase 'd'urne antique à feuillages'
  • Pair of Vases and Covers
  • Possibly vase 'd'urne antique à feuillages'
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Possibly Jean-Jacques Bachelier (1724 - 1806), Designer
    Etienne-Henry Le Guay, The Elder (1719 - 1799), Gilder
    Etienne-Henry Bono (1742 - after 1781), Repareur
  • Sèvres, France
  • c. 1771 - 1776
  • Soft-paste porcelain, painted and gilded
  • C321, Object size: 38.6 x 26.4 cm
    C322, Object size: 39.3 x 26.4 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls Painted in mauve
    Gilder's mark: 'LG' for Etienne-Henry Le Guay Painted in mauve
    Incised mark: 'Bono' for Etienne-Henry Bono
    Label: 'III'
  • C321-2
  • Study
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • The veiled heads on the sides of these vases possibly represent nuns and might reflect Madame Louise, Louis XV’s youngest daughter, entering a Carmelite convent in 1770.

    The medallions of hunting and pastoral trophies were probably painted by Claude-Gilles Buteux (op. 1778-90) and Etienne Henry Le Guay was responsible for the gilding. Unusually, Etienne-Henry Bono (op. 1754-81), the craftsman who modelled the shape, has also marked both pieces.
    Assembled as a garniture with three other vases in the Wallace Collection (C228-9 and C333), which have a similar 'beau bleu' and gilded decoration, the pair was sent by the comte d’Artois to the Prince de Velbruck of Liège in 1781 in exchange for four horses. By the second half of the eighteenth century Sèvres was the most admired porcelain factory in Europe and its products often served as lavish diplomatic gifts.

    In the nineteenth century the set found its way into the collections of Felix Monfort and Lord Wellesley.

    The gilt-bronze stands are probably French and date from the nineteenth century.