The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Vase 'E de 1780' of the first size and vases 'E de 1780' of the second size
  • Garniture of Three Vases and Covers
  • Vase 'E de 1780' of the first size and vases 'E de 1780' of the second size
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Jaques-François Paris (or Deparis) (1735 - 1797), Designer
    Possibly Charles-Eloi Asselin (1743 - 1804), Painter, ('mignatures')
    Possibly Edme-François Bouilliat (1739 - 1810), Painter, ('fleurs sur terrasses')
    Possibly Joseph Coteau (1740 - 1812), Enameller
  • Sèvres, France
  • 1781
  • Soft-paste porcelain, painted, gilded and with jewelled enamelling
  • C334, Object size: 47.5 x 22.9 cm
    C335, Object size: 39.3 x 19 cm
    C336, Object size: 38.9 x 18.6 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls flanked by 'DD' the date letter for 1781
    Factory mark: Ls (indistinct)
    Incised mark: '∙IO∙'
    Incised mark: 'IO'
    Label: '53' and '54' Printed
    Label: 'X' and '479'
  • C334-6
  • Study
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • This splendid garniture comprises three vases of the same model, set on lion’s paw feet and decorated with acanthus-leaf handles. The unusual name was probably modified in the 19th century from the original title ‘vase Paris de nouvelle forme’ which would suggest that it was designed by Jacques-François Paris (op. 1746-97).

    The ‘beau bleu’ blue ground is richly decorated with jewelled enamelling, an elaborate technique which involved the application of enamelled gold-leaf foils to the porcelain. Joseph Coteau (op. 1780-4) perfected the technique at Sèvres and may also have decorated this garniture, but because of his difficult personality, his service at the manufactory terminated after only four years.

    The mythological scenes on the front – Pygmalion and Galatea, Primavera with two Cherubs and reclining Bacchus accompanied by two child satyrs – were possibly painted by Charles-Eloi Asselin. They are after compositions by François Boucher and Charles Eisen, which may have been available at the manufactory as printed reproductions. The back reserves show bucolic landscapes, possibly by Edme-François Bouilliat (op. 1758-1810).

    Pieces with jewelled enamelling were often given by Louis XVI as diplomatic gifts and this garniture the king presented to Prince Henry of Prussia, brother of Frederick the Great, when he was on a diplomatic mission to Paris in 1784.

    The gilt-bronze stands are French, possibly eighteenth century.