The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Two gobelets 'litron' et soucoupes of the second size and Pot à lait 'à trois pieds' of the first si
  • Two Cups and Saucers and a Milk Jug
  • Two gobelets 'litron' et soucoupes of the second size and Pot à lait 'à trois pieds' of the first si
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Probably Philippe Parpette (1736 - 1808), Enameller
    Probably Etienne-Henry Le Guay, The Elder (1719 - 1799), Gilder
  • Sèvres, France
  • 1783
  • Soft-paste porcelain with jewelled enamelling, painted and gilded
  • Cup, C421, Height: 6.6 cm
    Saucer, C421, Diameter: 13.2 cm
    Cup, C422, Height: 6.6 cm
    Saucer, C422, Diameter: 13.4 cm
    Milk jug, C423, Height: 12.9 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls Painted in gilding
    Factory mark: Interlaced Ls flanked by FF the date letter for 1783
    Gilder's mark: 'LG' for Etienne-Henry Le Guay
    Incised mark: '29' and '3'
    Incised mark: '29'
    Incised mark: '48a'
    Incised mark: '4'
  • C421-3
  • Study
Commentary
History
Further Reading
  • The European cup for drinking tea evolved gradually during the first half of the eighteenth century, adapted from the Chinese porcelain tea bowls in which tea was originally drunk when it became fashionable in Europe at the end of the seventeenth century. By 1752, the Vincennes manufactory was making a wide range of tea wares, many models of the early 1750s remaining in production for the rest of the century. Most cups and saucers could be used for tea, coffee or chocolate, often being sold with matching teapots or, more rarely, coffee pots.
    This tea set is decorated with an overglaze blue 'beau bleu' ground, gilding, and friezes of jewelled enamelling. Jewelling involved the application of enamelled gold-leaf foils to the porcelain, and was perfected at the manufactory during the 1780s. Together with a matching cup now in the Musée national de Céramique at Sèvres, the pieces may have been part of a tea service bought in 1784 by the comte de Vergennes of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which would have comprised three more cups and saucers a sugar bowl,a tea pot and a milk bowl.

    Decorated with an overglaze-blue ground, jewelled enamelling possibly by P. Parpette, and gilding by E.-H. Le Guay.