The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Vase 'à glands'
  • Vase and Cover
  • Vase 'à glands'
  • Manufacture de Sèvres
  • Henry (-François) Vincent (1733 - 1809), Gilder
    Probably Antoine Caton (1726 - 1800), Painter
  • Sèvres, France
  • c. 1781
  • Soft-paste porcelain, painted and gilded
  • Object size: 43.2 x 24.3 cm
  • Factory mark: Interlaced Ls Painted, in gilding
    Gilder's mark: '2000' for Henry-François Vincent Painted, in gilding
    Incised mark: 'ap'
    Incised mark: 'cd'
    Label: '27' Printed
    Label: '36' Printed
  • C310
  • Study
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • The neck of this classical-inspired vase is encircled by cords terminating in four tassels ('glands' in French) hanging down each side.
    Decorated with a dark green ground, the front is painted, probably by Antoine Caton (1749-98), with a mythological scene from the Aeneid, Venus showing her son Aeneas the arms she had forged for him and directing him to Dido’s palace. The motif appears on several pieces from the same period and is after a composition by Charles-Joseph Natoire. An engraved version of the painting by Jean-Jacques Flipart has survived at the Sèvres manufactory to this day.
    The reserve on the back shows a matching trophy with Aeneas’ arms and the rich gilding, executed by Henry-François Vincent (op. 1753-1800), includes ribbon-tied oak garlands and a ‘sablé’ (sand-like) pattern on the base of the tassels.

    Together with two matching ‘vases Paris de milieu’ (now at Waddesdon Manor), the garniture was possibly bought for the comte and comtesse du Nord on 25 June 1782, before it found its way into the collection of Prince Alexander Andreevich Bezborodko (Grand Chancellor under Catherine the Great and Paul I) or into that of his great nephew, Count Alexander Grigorevitch Koucheleff, remaining in St. Petersburg until the 1860s. Frederick Davis acquired this vase and possibly the two Waddesdon pieces on a visit to Russia and exhibited it at South Kensington in 1862.

    The gilt-bronze stand is a later addition and recorded from 1862.