The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Wall-hanging
  • Wall-hanging
  • Unknown Artist / Maker
  • Italy
  • c. 1650 (embroidered hanging, scrolled border, large cartouche, border below)
    c. 1780 (inner cartouche, episcopal hat and coronet above)
  • Silk velvet, applied silk embroidery, silk cord, silk satin, grey wool interlining
  • Height: 352 cm
    Width: 144.4 cm
  • F516
  • Lecture Theatre Corridor
Commentary
History
Images & Media
Further Reading
  • Pair to F517. Crimson velvet wall-hanging with appliqué decoration of embroidered canvas. The decoration consists of borders of foliate scrolls and flowers with a large border below, and a central cartouche of a coronet and coat of arms.
    Each wall-hanging consists of four separate pieces of velvet. The cartouches on the main panel of each contain the arms of Luigi Pirelli (1740-1820) as Bishop and Prince of Teramo and as General of the Theatine Order. He was a native of Ariano, elected General of the Theatine Order in about 1766 and consecrated Bishop and Prince of Teramo, in the Abruzzi, in 1777. In 1804 he was consecrated Bishop of Trani. The arms on F516-7 must therefore date between 1777 and 1804, although they are applied onto embroidered hangings probably of the mid-seventeenth century. The borders and the main panels were probably sewn together in the mid-nineteenth century, when F516-7 were backed with plum-coloured wool velvet, or plush, which was gathered at the tops to enable them to be used as door curtains. The cords at the back of each hanging would have allowed them to be tied back.